Guardian Pharmacy has finally seen fit to bring in the Lakmé brand of cosmetics and it appears to have a cult following here because the announcement of the brand’s arrival on Facebook last week sparked an immediate ripple of seismic activity among the local fan girls.
Wow, that good, eh?
It’s a brand from South Asia and I’m going to be honest, I’m not ethnically Indian and know almost nothing about this brand except that almost every girl of Indian heritage I know seems to think it really is the bee’s knees.
Turns out Lakmé is something like India’s answer to France’s Bourjois or America’s Revlon so it’s a rather big deal that it’s finally available locally. Essentially , it now means that Lakmé lovers will no longer have to save for an actual sojourn to India proper or resort to begging some India-bound relative to lug products back. Great, right?!
Now, the catch to all this good news is that Lakmé won’t be available at all Guardian outlets but just a few curiously scattered locations nationwide so it may as well just be in India if you don’t fancy traipsing across town or into another state.
Turns out that one of these rare locations just happens to be in my neck of the woods. For once, something in the beauty world is not being launched exclusively halfway across the universe in dastardly Sunway but at Bukit Bintang branch, along Jalan Bukit Bintang (opp. KFC).
Guardian Bukit Bintang is literally around the corner from all of my favourite beauty haunts so this post is just for you, Lakmé fan girls – behold a PRICE list!
Lakmé Price List
(RRP as at October 2014)
I’ve made an effort to put together this price list so that all you local Lakmé girls (many of whom are personal friends) will know what to expect in stock locally before you plan to make that pilgrimage out to that Guardian you never usually visit to restock on your favourite Lakmé cult items.
I care about you so let me save you all from swooping in but only to discover that the exact item you want from Lakmé isn’t stocked locally. Don’t you hate that?
It’s still early days for the brand here and the shelves are not fully stacked today (8th October). There are currently more testers than there is product to buy so I would either call Guardian beforehand (this might not prove helpful as the sales assistant couldn’t answer anything I asked him about the brand!) or give Lakmé a few more weeks to settle in if you’re keen on sighting the full range of items in my price list and intending to make a purchase.
One of the lip products I swatched and liked wasn’t available to buy and I noticed that this was the case for many other products too so keep this current state of affairs in mind before you make a grand effort to swing over. I also did not see any nail products bar a remover.
The silver lining to this cloud, however, is that many items are currently discounted from the RRP I’ve given here so if it is in stock, you can expect to save during this period.
The promotion is on until the 14th October, I believe, but I asked the Guardian assistant to confirm and he was of little help 😛
- ABSOLUTE Face Stylist Compact – RM68.90
- ABSOLUTE Skin Cover – RM59.90
- ABSOLUTE Matte Mousse – RM68.90
- White Intense Wet & Dry Compact – RM52.90
- Flawless Matte Complexion Compact – RM24.90
- Face Magic Daily Wear Souffle – RM13.90
- CC Cream – RM22.90
- Silk Naturelle Daily Foundation – RM24.90
- Loose Rose Powder – RM13.90
- 9 To 5 Flawless Makeup Foundation
- ABSOLUTE Face Stylist Blush – RM48.90
- Creme Lip Color – RM39.90
- Matte Lip Color – Rm35.90
- 9 To 5 Matte Lip Color – RM29.90
- ABSOLUTE Plump & Shine Lip Gloss – RM33.90
- ABSOLUTE Aqua Shine Lip Color – RM29.90
- ABSOLUTE Shine Lube – RM30.90
- 9 To 5 Shimmer Liner – RM19.90
- ABSOLUTE Forever Silk Lip Liner – RM28.90
- 9 To 5 Lip Liner BB – RM24.90
- Enrich Satin Lip Color RM19.90
- ABSOLUTE Drama Stylist Shadow Duos – RM48.90
- 9 To 5 Eye Quartet – Rm35.90
- Kajal Pencil Black – RM6.90
- Eyebrow Pencil Black – RM5.90
- ABSOLUTE Flutter Secret Mascara – RM47.90
- ABSOLUTE Ultimate Kohl Liner – RM53.90
- ABSOLUTE Forever Silk Eye Liner – RM34.90
- 9 To 5 Glide-On Eye Liner – RM21.90
- 9 To 5 Eye Conic Kajal – Rm17.90
Other Lakmé Products
- Dual Sharpener – RM7.90
- Nail Color Remover – RMRM5.90
My first impressions of the brand’s colours is that products are quite pigmented and lean toward plenty of plums and pinks. Eye colours feature strong peacock shades of greens golds and purples and appear to my eye somewhat…er, Bollywood?
I’d personally be interested in the lip and blush products and I was previously told by a friend that the foundation products may be a little too dark for me but apparently you will love Lakmé if you’ve always yearned for darker shades of base products.
I don’t personally know much about this brand but if Lakmé is as big as they say, I’m sure there are reviews aplenty existing or forthcoming in the blogosphere. Seems to be a brand to keep an eye out for.
If you have any first-hand experience of this brand, I’d love to here all about it. Do convince me how wonderful it is!
[This post is a local beauty news piece written as a preview to the brand and non-affiliated. Prices subject to change without notice. All image credits to Lakmé India and Guardian FB. ]