Now that I am getting older, I’ve become increasingly aware that my appearance is also a reflection of ‘I Am What I Eat’ and I’ve been more curious about things like taking vitamins and dietary supplements in order to counteract the natural process of ageing as well as make up for the shortfall left by bad lifestyle choices like my street food diet.
Without a doubt, some of the most popular types of oral health supplements against ageing are collagen-based and I don’t know about you, but I’m always fascinated to hear about every other person’s experience when it comes to taking collagen and other anti- ageing health supplements.
So finally, the time has come for me to put on my own ‘lab rat hat‘ and share my own experience of an oral collagen supplement that I’ve been taking for about 3 weeks.
This is the product I’ve been consuming for the last 21+ days and it is the very technically-named Premium FINE Hyaluron & Collagen + Ubiquinol (hereafter FINE H&C+U).
Now, oral collagen supplements have pretty much headlined beauty news ever since they first appeared on the scene but as with all things in life, not all collagen supplements are created equal. Some are great and others, well, maybe not so much.
What gave me enough peace of mind to try this product is that, unlike some of the other brands of collagen supplements on the market, this product is 100% Made in Japan by FINE Japan Corporate to the rigid standards and safest measures that we can expect from a Japanese health company.
Incidentally, FINE is also an ISO 9001 nutraceutical company with a rich over 40-year history of developing health supplements that are fully certified to all of Japan’s rigid health manufacturing standards.
I was sent this product in the 30-Day supply resealable foil-bag packaging to test drink. The product also comes in a tin packaging, if you prefer.
This red & gold packaging is actually the new and upgraded version of the original and very popular FINE Hyaluron & Collagen and possesses the same qualities of the previous formula but now contains the added benefit of Ubiquinol (Kaneka Q10) which apparently has the ability to promote skin cell metabolism and rejuvenate dull skin.
I’m attaching this image of the ingredients in this product because I think it’s handy that you’re up to speed with what goes into making this product if you’re thinking about putting it into your body.
For your benefit, here’s a closer look…and do note that the collagen content in a single serving is 5250mg. That’s a little above the average standard intake of 5000mg per day, per person so there’s a little extra in there too.
I know that some oral collagen products on the market claim to contain as much as 10,000mg of collagen per serving and some users have claimed wonders from this double dosage amount but I’m also aware that it might be overkill because your ability to absorb it all depends on age-specific needs and your own body.
In any case, I felt better sticking to the recommended standard dose and wasn’t at all tempted to double up on scoops.
You might want to know that the type of collagen in this FINE product is derived from fish peptide and this is considered a superior source compared to other types of collagen such as that which is sourced from chicken, for example.
It’s known that collagen is a fairly large molecule so this calls into question the effectiveness of applying topical collagen-based skin creams to the skin’s surface.
On the other hand, some say that oral collagen supplements work more effectively because we actually absorb collagen better into our bodily systems if it is consumed orally.
WHAT IT CONTAINS & WHY…
- Hyaluronic Acid 150mg: Nourishes skin with its tremendous moisture-holding ability
- Fish Collagen Peptide 5250mg: Promotes healthier, more radiant skin
- Elastin 15mg: Provides skin with elasticity and promotes a smoother skin texture and greater level of skin firmness
- Pearl Coix Extract 450mg: Detoxifies the body for clearer, fairer and more luminous skin
- Vitamin C 100mg: Accelerates collagen metabolism
- Biotin 45µg: Maintains the health of skin, hair and nails
- Ubiquinol (Kaneka Q10): promotes skin cell metabolism and rejuvenates dull skin to regain radiance
Combined, FINE believes that these active ingredients produce an effective cocktail of benefits that target visible signs of ageing and promotes better skin health overall.
WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE…
The FINE H&C+U is a finely-milled white powder. It’s whiter than milk powder which tends to be off-white.
It comes with a special spoon designed to make it easy to scoop out a measured daily dose.
HOW TO PREPARE IT FOR CONSUMPTION…
Scoop out one leveled spoonful for a daily dose. Add to a glass or mug and add a liquid. Stir until dissolved and drink.
It does take a good swilling to dissolve all the powder into the liquid so give it a strong and steady swirl with a metal spoon. I try to apply even stirring movements and press away at any clumps with the spoon to the side of the glass.
The powder also appears to dissolve more easily when the liquid is warm.
I take my daily dose plain so I only mix it with some warm water. Others have been known to stir it right into milk, coffee, juice and even tea. It’s quite flexible in that respect.
Personally, I don’t like adding too much water – about half a glass is ideal for me – because I prefer to chug it down fast rather than linger over it as I would a cup of tea. My attitude toward this is more health supplement and less dessert.
Apparently, to make it even easier on the palate, you can actually serve it up as a dessert with some ice cream or yoghurt.
Here is an image showing some interesting ways to serve FINE H&C+U!
SMELL & TASTE
This is my personal opinion but because this product contains powdered condensed milk, it actually smells and tastes heavily milky to me. At the same time, it also tastes quite ‘oaty’ like Horlicks.
Now, this may be fantastic news if you happen to like milky and oaty tasting drinks, but if you don’t then it might come across as rather strong in its milky/ oaty taste.
Anyway, this is where the serving flexibility of the formula is handy and if you’re not a fan of the straight-up taste of this supplement, you can always experiment and add it to an equally strong tasting substance like coffee or juice to mask its milkiness to make it more suitable to your taste.
Likewise, some people add it to their pancake mix but I can’t imagine eating pancakes everyday just to get my beauty benefits but certainly, the option is there.
Either way, it is good to know you have a choice with how you want to consume your daily dose.
Like all flavours and food products, it all comes down to personal preferences and this is going to have its fans and then there will be others who might dislike the taste.
Personally, I’m not a fan of milky flavours but I chug it down like a sport and for the sake of my greater good – good skin, that is!
MY PERSONAL RESULTS
Thank you for sticking with this post for so long because we’re finally at the part where I talk personally about my trial with the FINE H&C+U product.
After 21 days of consumption, these are my observations-:
- One of the main things I noticed as early as Day 3 and Serving 3, was that my T-Zone was noticeably more matte and less oily than previously. This was before makeup of any kind so I know it wasn’t the effect of a foundation or setting powder.
- I have noticed a more even skin tone before makeup and am getting away with not applying foundation at the moment which is actually a good sign of clearer skin for me. The good condition of my bare skin is the best measure of a skincare product’s efficacy.
- Skin feels less dry not just on the cheeks but all over the body.
- By the end of the third week, nails feel stronger and less prone to splitting or breakage than usual. I finally have a set of nails that I’m happy to paint this month.
- By week 3, hair is less oily than before. Hair products remained unchanged.
- The one thing that I like about this oral collagen supplement is that I’ve noticed it seems to improve the skin condition all over the body and not just on my face. With some very pricey serums and lotions, I can only afford to apply to them to the face but with this oral supplement I am actually drinking it for the benefit of the rest of my body too – at no extra cost.
- No observed side effects or breakouts. It was safe for me!
In terms of an overall system of face and body care, it’s still early days yet because apparently, the full benefits of taking a dietary hyaluronic acid & collagen supplement like this are always better reflected over a sustained period of consumption.
In the same way, it’s like drinking water and you can’t expect to be hydrated if you quit drinking water so similarly, any benefits from taking this oral collagen supplement will exist only if dosage is consistent and ongoing.
In essence, this FINE H&C+U oral supplement is meant as an ongoing program of internal beauty care and not intended as a single-dose miracle cure for all because really, there is no such thing in the world as a magic pill you will only need to take once when it comes to beauty and skincare.
- The retail price for FINE H&C+Ubiquinol is RM238 for a 28 days supply (Refill pack 30 days supply is the same price)
- RM188 is the price for the ordinary FINE H&C, a 30 days supply (Refill pack 33 days supply).
- The milky flavour may win some users and lose others; depending on your personal flavour preferences but the best thing about this is that you can combine it with any other drinks and foods in ways that are creative and more to your taste.
- Since it requires some self-mixing, this is not as handy as some other pre-mixed bottled varieties of dietary collagen supplements which may be seen as more convenient for on-the-go consumption.
- FINE H&C+U formula isn’t recommended for you if you are allergic to soy, fish & seafood, milk or wheat as this product contains these ingredients.
- Notably, FINE H&C+U is not recommended in quantity (i.e. more than one scoop) for pregnant women because it contains Pearl Coix Extract (Job’s Tears Extract).
For a time, I did try an oral collagen supplement by another brand but I had falsely convinced myself that I was allergic to animal collagen products when consumption coincided with a phase of sensitive skin flareups so I gave it up after I completed a month’s cycle.
Turns out my suspicions were completely unfounded and I was being ridiculous because when I finally went to see a dermatologist for help with my skin’s constant flareups of sensitive blotches and the doctor helped me identify that it was actually prolonged exposure to the sun and elements without adequate SPF protection that inflamed my eczema and not a collagen allergy.
I experienced no negative issues during my trial of this product.
If you’re interested in finding out more about this Premium FINE Hyaluron & Collagen + Ubiquinol supplement for yourself, you may check out the links below for stockists, product information and reviews…
[Disclaimer: Product was sent to me for trial and review. All opinions and commentary are my own and of a personal nature. Consider at your own risk. All links are non-affiliate and for informational purposes only. Please seek the advice of a licensed medical professional if you are unsure of any allergies. Unless indicated, all images belong to me and may not be used without permission and a credit link back to this blog.]